So you’re interested in taking your riding skills to a higher level with the IAM’s Skill for Life package. If you live in Hampshire or on the fringes of the county, the best way to do this is with Solent Advanced Motorcyclists (SAM). We are your local affiliated IAM RoadSmart Official Provider, with four teams of volunteer qualified Observers across the area from:
North: Winchester, Salisbury and Andover
South: Southampton and Eastleigh to Fareham and Gosport
East: Alton, Petersfield and Portsmouth
West: The New Forest
Our Observers are motivated and keen; they meet and train regularly. We maintain close contact with our police and ex-police examiners and know what the IAM expects them to look for in candidates for the Advanced Motorcycle Test. We get around 50 motorcyclists a year through the test with a pass rate of 93%, which is considerably higher than the national average.
What can you look forward to?
One-to-one training with an Observer allocated to you
A check test ride to make sure you are ready for the Advanced Test
Free theory training classes
Free slow riding and machine control training sessions
How do you join the IAM and SAM and what will it cost?
You can join us in person at one of our SAM Sundays (see below) or a Club Night (2nd Tuesday of the month) or when you see our Mobile Display Unit (MDU) out and about at popular motorcycle venues and events – see MDU Schedule here.
To join the IAM and SAM, and to sign up for your Skill for Life package please contact our Membership Secretary Martin Thomas.
The “Skill For Life” package is great value and costs £149. It gives you all of the following:
- Membership of the IAM for one year
- Membership of Solent Advanced Motorcyclists for one year
- One IAM Advanced Motorcycle test fee
- A copy of the IAM advanced riding manual, “How to be a Better Rider”.
If you are already an IAM member and want to join SAM, you will be made very welcome too.
All SAM members must also be members of the IAM.
What happens when you join?
We will allocate you to your own fully trained and qualified and externally accredited Observer.
Your Observer will contact your to arrange your first observed riding session.
(SAM requests a contribution to your Observer’s motorcycle expenses of up to £15 for each session.)
As well as the above you also have free access to:
- A copy of our magazine “Making Progress”, published several time a year
- SAM SUNDAYS from March to November, with the opportunity for assessed rides with Observers other than your own
- Join us at our popular monthly Club Nights, to meet other members and hear guest speakers
- Ride outs or events on almost every weekend throughout the year
- An Associate Coordinator, independent of the Observer team, who is available with help and encouragement at any stage in your journey towards becoming a better rider.
What will it cost?
To maintain your membership of SAM in subsequent years, the annual membership for the IAM is £32.50 and the annual membership for SAM is £22.00